USS Pueblo is the first thing that comes to mind.

I do find this comment  a little interesting.

"British naval officials said the sailors, using small boarding craft,
had completed an inspection of a merchant vessel in Iraqi waters when
the Iranians arrived. "

This could be legit, or it could be cover for covert operations, spying,
intelligence gathering etc... How long did the USA disavow any knowledge
of Gary Powers or any spy plane over the former Soviet Union. Only after
they stated they had him in custody did we back off of the "no spy plane
story".

If there is no evidence of anything other than potentially being in the
wrong place (we'll have to see where they actually were) I think the
Iranians will hand over the crew and possibly the vessel in short
order.  however, if there is any evidence of intelligence gathering and
the ship was in Iranian water then it's game on and the Iranians will
want to expose this as an infringement on their sovereignty.