I'm not sure how much of that's really changed from Word 2003.  If you used
styles in 2003 they were pretty draconian as well.

Word 2007 has more autocorrect options - but the basic system is exactly the
same.  To change it click the office button, then click "options", then
"Proofing".  Now press the "AutoCorrect Options".  You can now turn off all
corrections or delete certain entries (or add you own).

> My question is, what is so much better about hiding the menu and
> putting "Save as" under some hieroglyph for "Home" instead of under
> "File" where they have very suggessfully trained users to expect it? It
> flies in the face of usability as it has been explained to me, and if
> it does something better it, this soomething does not appear to be
> something that I do with Office.

Well - it's a tightrope.  The basic rule of thumb (and you know about rules
of thumb) is that you shouldn't change a defacto standard unless it Improves
usability by 100%.

This is a weird rule of thumb but it's basically saying "Follow the de facto
standard unless you're damn sure you've got something better"... or, more
precisely: "follow the de facto standard unless you've done your homework
enough to be able to quantify your usability gain".  ;^)

I'm not sure if the ribbon improves usability by 100% but it really does
improve it a great deal.

The office button isn't intuitive (you're exactly right - it's a completely
non-descriptive icon), but it is easily discoverable.  This is usually
considered a good trade off for a commonly used element where space savings
are desired (especially, as in this case, when a single icon just doesn't
cut it).  The actual number of unintuitive, but discoverable elements needs
to be low (they need to be remembered to be useful so you have to keep the
total number small) bit it's a valid UI decision.

The philosophy here is that everything you see on screen (in the ribbon) is
for working with your document.  The office button, by comparison, is for
working with your _computer_.  It's a subtle distinction but an important
one: the office button is the only part of the experience worried about
files, printers, email, program options, etc.

(You can also easily add Office Button tools to the quick access bar, but
that's just a shortcut and doesn't really ruin the analogy.)

If you want more check out the archives of Jensen Harris' blog:

http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/default.aspx

The posts from right before the launch cover a lot of their thinking in
detail.

I'm not saying that you need to read the blog to use the software, but if
you you're interested in how things got thought through it's really
interesting.

Jim Davis