I read something like this recently, I'll try to dig up the reference. The
general notion is that we have enabled a generation of narcissists through
all of this BS mommy-state education, "I am special, look at me." At my
daughter's school (a private schook ,not even affected by unions), they have
all kinds of behavioral issues with kinds in her class, and their entire
attitude is basically consequence-free negotiation with eight year-olds on
why they are so mean to their classmates. My wife, of course, is having none
of it, and is in an uproar over the lack of discipline. We both agree that
what some of these kids need is a measured slap on the back of the head,
followed by instruction to pay attention or face consequences. Personally, I
am not a disciplinarian at all, that's my wife's job, but even I am amazed
at the kind of behavior the school lets kids get away with. And like I said,
that's private school. At public school- well, it's ugly. I'm not sure I
have met a product of  public schools here who can distinguish between
"lose" and "loose".