> -----Original Message-----
> From: G Money [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2007 8:21 AM
> To: CF-Community
> Subject: Re: Camille Paglia is a Global Warming Skeptic
>
> Let me complete your analogy:

I prefer a different analogy.

You're hiking through the woods with a friend. Beautiful, pristine.  The
ground's wet and it's overgrown, but otherwise just perfect.

You come upon some railroad tracks and one friend suggests setting up camp
on the tracks.  He's positive that these tracks aren't in use anymore and
swears you'll be more comfortable lying flat on the tracks.

You're not so sure about his claim... the tracks look, to you, like they
might be in use, but you're not sure.  Still, the evidence can definitely
support both conclusions - there is no "smoking gun".

So - what do you do?  You'd definitely be more comfortable on the tracks.
Even if the tracks are in use they probably won't be used for the short time
you'll be there.  The tracks are risky: it's not like you can't see the
possible results if you're wrong.  But not using the tracks means that
you'll have to clear ground, sleep on rocks and is generally just a lot more
trouble.

In short you can take the completely safe path which is a lot of work.  You
can take the risk blindly and just set up on the tracks.  You might try to
find out more information: look around and see if you can gather some more
definitive evidence.  Perhaps take a cautious approach: sleep on the tracks
but not both at the same time.

Now here's the point (sorry, I know it was a long trip): no matter what you
do it doesn't matter to the woods.  Whether your ass lives or dies, sleeps
on the tracks or in the mud, takes the easy road or works hard - it doesn't
matter to the woods.

Jim Davis