>The Mac Pro, and just about ever other desktop I've seen is using
>7200RPC SATA drives and then throwing in like 8 cores or something like
>that. Over the past several years the bottleneck hasn't been in the CPU.
>It has been in the IO.
>
>SATA is better than IDE, but it is still designed linear IO. It is good
>for long term storage and home and small office use. But for something
>like Photoshop or anything else that is going to be doing a lot of
>Random IO you would want to go with SCSI or maybe SAS now.

That's pretty good to know. I'd certainly love to get some recommendations for
the best system to go with...I'll admit to being pretty dumb when it comes to
hardware. If you had say a budget of $2500-3000 (not including monitors) what
would you get? With the idea of maximizing performance in Photoshop and having
lots of available storage for images. I currently have two internal drives of
120 gig and 240 gig and run backups to 2 external USB drives, 300 and 500 gig
(as well as backing up really essential stuff to an online source). So I've got
pretty hefty space needs for a home user. I don't do much gaming or any kind of
3d graphics work so my video card requirements shouldn't be too hefty.