On 4/23/07, Jim Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well - not to defend Ambrose (I like his books personally, but have
> nothing to say beyond that) but:
>
> "Readers" were only pissed in the case you cite because Oprah told them to
> be.  This was not a case of a readership incensed by a lack of integrity -
> this was (yet another case) of the cult of Oprah faithfully following their
> mistress.
>
> She told them to buy the book and love the author, then she told them to
> stop buying it and hate the author.  They did and unfortunately it's no more
> complex than that.
>
> Jim Davis

While I have ZERO emotional stake in defending the Heathen Oprah Army, I
don't think this is necessarily how this went down. When it came to light
that his book was full of shit, people became outraged and demanded that
Oprah speak out against it. At first she resisted, but ultimately relented
and brought him on her show for a staged berating.

I think this is the case where Oprah was driven by her audience, and not the
other way around.

--
I knew the moment had arrived, for killing the past and coming back to life.