I had to click around, but i found this on the same site -- university of
dayton should be reasonably objective, you would think. Highlands is part of
the Nm state system, btw. Briefly, yes, there are explicit references to
language and to Guadalupe Hidalgo in the New Mexico Constitution. I am still
not sure if this was what the Native American Legislator was talking about.

http://academic.udayton.edu/race/02rights/guadalu2.htm

Given this brief historical background, it becomes more apparent why New
Mexicans wrote a unique document in 1910. They included the "additional" bill
of rights, Article II, Section 5: "…the rights, privileges and immunities,
etc. of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo." These rights are again reasserted in
Article VII, Section 3, which guaranteed the right to vote regardless of
religion, race, language, color or ability to speak the English language.
Article VIII, Section 8 mandated teacher training for Spanish-speaking
children. The Spanish-American Normal School at El Rito, when the other normal
schools did not assume this responsibility, was founded for this specific
purpose. Article VII, Section 10 forbade racial discrimination against children
of Spanish descent, and guaranteed equal access to an education. They were
"…never to be denied admission to the public schools, nor ever be classed in
separate schools, but shall forever enjoy perfect equality with other children
in public schools…"

In summary, the authors of the 1910 constitution drew upon the experience of
the 19th century and drafted a document which incorporated all possible
protection of the ideals of the United States Constitution and the Treaty of
Guadalupe Hidalgo. Larsen says:

"The stringent provisions regarding equality for the Spanish-speaking citizen
were intended to overcome fears and apprehensions of the native population that
they might be discriminated against by the Anglo majority…"