On 5/10/07, Gruss Gott  wrote:
> > Deanna wrote:
> > You need to understand
> > plant-based proteins, and you need to supplement.
>
> ALERT for the dudes: most plant protein you'll get in foods is soy and
> soy contains phyto-estrogens; plant-based girl hormones.

I find this an interesting discussion, as there are cultures (think
Japan) that have relied on soy for generations, with no obvious
ill-effects. I don't claim to be an expert in this area, but I can't
help but wonder if GMO soy or isolated soy proteins aren't a bigger
culprit than whole soy foods like tofu or tempeh. I'm not disputing
the presence of phyto-estrogens, just that it's all curious.

There are lots of other sources of protein, too. Other beans and
legumes being chief among them, but quinoa is a good protein source as
well.

I've tired doing the vegan thing - I was hungry a LOT. But, I still
rely minimally on animal products. Many of our meals are completely
vegan. We just made a spectacular brown rice, asparagus, almond pilaf
type thing with a tahini lemon dressing. Sooooo good and an easy vegan
recipe. (Of course, the next night we had an Indian dish with both
cheese and cream in it.)