Reality on the Ground
It's not "lost," but we could make it be.

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=YzdhYThiZjFkMDU2MWJmNzRmNDc1ODVjNzI3YjY0N2Y=

Here's two snippets:

Al Qaeda fears America's strategic position in the region. They know
they cannot defeat us in any pitched battle. And they know their only
chance is to defeat us by fomenting ethnic and religious hatreds in
Iraq thus creating enough bloody chaos as to make the conflict appear
unmanageable in the eyes of the American public.

As part of that misinformation campaign, the Left has been successful
in dehumanizing ordinary Iraqis, which to me defies logic because on
the one hand, they'll argue that Iraqis (supposedly incapable of ever
governing themselves or stopping the sectarian violence) are not worth
the blood of American GIs, yet on the hand other they'll rail against
the Bush administration for all the Iraqis who have been killed since
the invasion in 2003.