"Major combat operations in Iraq have ended. In the battle of Iraq,
the United States and our allies have prevailed." –President Bush,
standing under a "Mission Accomplished" banner on the USS Lincoln
aircraft carrier, May 2, 2003

"My belief is we will, in fact, be greeted as liberators." –Vice
President Dick Cheney, "Meet the Press," March 16, 2003

"Oh, no, we're not going to have any casualties." —President Bush,
discussing the Iraq war with Christian broadcaster Pat Robertson,
after Robertson told him he should prepare the American people for
casualties

"It's hard to conceive that it would take more forces to provide
stability in post-Saddam Iraq than it would take to conduct the war
itself and to secure the surrender of Saddam's security forces and his
army. Hard to imagine." –Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz,
testifying before the House Budget Committee prior to the Iraq war,
Feb. 27, 2003

"We are dealing with a country that can really finance its own
reconstruction and relatively soon." -Wolfowitz, 3/27/03

"[T]he American part of this will be $1.7 billion. We have no plans
for any further-on funding for this." -Andrew Natsios, Nightline,
4/23/03

"I think they're in the last throes, if you will, of the insurgency."
-Cheney, Larry King Live, 6/20/05