Spanish town votes in Elvis flares and nude pool
Thu May 31, 2007 10:59 AM ET

MADRID (Reuters) - Council meetings in Reus could take a turn for the
bizarre after the northern Spanish town voted in a councillor who promised
to turn up dressed as Elvis Presley and wants to turn the square into a
nudist pool.

Ariel Santamaria, a former postman, stood for a small independent party
dressed in full Elvis regalia complete with sideburns and won enough votes
last weekend to take a council seat.

It remains to be seen how other parties will take his proposals for Reus, a
town of 100,000 people near Barcelona.

His platform included plans to paint the town hall pink, plant marijuana in
the parks and give the town police global positioning systems to find people
who might need a light while rolling a joint.
------

I think I need to move to this place.  Sounds like a Hunter S. Thompson
story beginning....

Ray Champagne
[EMAIL PROTECTED]