Jim wrote:
> It also means that the surface can be ruggedized: you might see a high-end
> dance floor that can "replay" your steps. Taking it further a museum floor
> could lead you exhibits (recognizing your shoe prints) and know if you've
> gotten off track.
>
> That's all pie-in-the-sky but capability is definitely there.

I need to sub to Science News...  I know they have a web version, but there
was just something special about getting that mag.  Anyways, seems like
a bunch of tech is sorta evolving pretty good- getting cheaper, people are
coming up with innovative little leaps in production, and what have you.

LEDs, solar panels, batteries, etc..  When you start putting the pieces
together, it's obvious we can kick some serious ass.  Sorta startling how
long it takes tho, neh?  What's the deal with that?  Beyond 2000... um,
hey, we're beyond.  Know what I mean?  Seems strange is all.

Sometimes I wish the .gub handled stuff like digital pipes, so we had
video phones and whatnot.  At others, I abhore it.  Que sir rah, hehe.

> A flexible screen could be mounted almost anyplace.  Your car steering wheel
> (or at least the top of it) could be a "screen" - as can your dashboard (no
> matter how the designers want to model it).  Your watch might be simply a
> bracelet-shaped screen - no "watch" anymore, just an interactive band where
> every outside surface can display information.

Whoever figures out non-glare whatnot, or projectors strong enough for
direct sun light, will make some loot.  :-)  Always thought things like
those laser keyboards were a good way of packing a lot in a little.

What we really need are personal black holes we can keep in our
pockets.  Not really black holes, more like those Rodger Rabbit holes.

Quantum mechanics, hurry yo but up!

> > Ever read that book Diamond Age?  I enjoyed it quite a bit...
>
> No - is it fiction or non-fiction?

Totally fiction.  Sci-Fi, even.  I read it on my PDA, which turned
out to be especially fitting.  Same dude that did Snow Crash,
another /excellent/ (for different reasons) book.

You'd like Diamond Age, and pro'lly Cryptonomicon too, if you
haven't read it already.  Hmm... looks like DA is gonna be a
Sci-Fi channel short... interesting... yeah, Neal Stephenson,
good author.  Woot!

It's probably best if you don't read the wikipedia page for it,
bestest if you just read it, probably (if you're like me, and
dig the unknown "and probably good".  =]).