On 6/15/07, Dana Tierney wrote:

> how would you know if your site was accessible to a screen reader? Short
> of actually running it through? I always thought it was a matter of making
> sure that images had text descriptions and that essential information was
> not hidden in pictures

There is a ton more to it... you need to have tabindexes on all input
fields,
labels for all input fields (which is kindof interesting for those text
boxes
that have their description within the text, like "Type here to search" or
whatnot), acronyms and abbreviations, color sensitivity (don't use some
of those colors people are commonly color blind to for navigation or what
not), contrast sensitivity... the list goes on and on.  Gives me an
appreciation
for folks who produce really accessible sites.  It's a lot of work, and some
of it takes knowledge that most folks ain't going to have (to use "ain't",
which
really pisses off the wife.  =]).

After a quick google, it seems like there are some Open Source screen
readers,
but most are for Linux (surprise surprise ;)-- the windows ones were for the
most part commercial (and probably better quality =P)... makes it kinda hard
for the dude or chick off the street to actually run their stuff through a
reader...
and I bet they all very as to what they support, how, etc..  Should we still
not
be putting TITLE attributes on certain tags, since it messes up some
readers?
(for instance)

I think we should be putting all the money people are individually putting
into
the idea of accessibility, into a sorta big group effort... perhaps that's
sorta
going on now-- for sure there's more going on than there ever was before.
(I was sorta in the disabilities arena for a while, back in the day-- I <3
assistive
tech! Man, when I think about it-- I'm pretty lame for not being more
focused.)

And the "good stuff" should be "free", IMHO.

Hey, anyone got a sorta "real life" checklist of what they do to stress-test
the
accessibility of their sites?