Carter turned his back on the Shah in support of the "Holy Man"
Khomeini. He even encouraged the Shah's top military leaders to stand
down and let Khomeini takeover.
Then after the revolution Carter brought the Shah to America. WTF?

As for the rescue, Israel gave carter rescue plans and told him when
to do it. He waited until April, a time they told him the sand storms
would be too risky. He did it anyway.