I have to disagree.

In New Orleans I ran a few chemical tests on filtered and unfiltered tap water
from 4 of the 5 major water districts in the area.  One was an artesian well
based system and the rest "purified" Mississippi River water.

The three Mississippi River sources showed elevated levels of transition metals
(selenium, arsenic, etc.), even after filtering through a brand new, state of
1990 water filter system.  The artesian system showed high levels of sulphur,
iron and contained very low levels of benzene and an unidentified hydrocarbon
(GC signature was too poor to identify).

I provided the results to the water districts and changes had allegedly been
made.  However, I only drink bottled water when the tap water source is the
Mississippi or the Biloxi aquifer.