> well, no, they don't ask for your credentials before you take
> communion. Or at least they didn't use to.

I'll respond to both your post and Eric's with the story of my own
mother who is a devout Catholic.  When she came to visit me the first
time and went to Mass at our local church she was refused because the
priest did not recognize her.  It wasn't until afterwards that she met
with him that she was allowed to take communion.

More to the point:
http://www.ourcatholicfaith.org/sacraments/receivingcommunion.html

And I quote:
In keeping with the sacramental meaning of the Eucharist this canon
reserves the sacraments to Catholics, that is, those who are in
communion with the Church. It then addresses the question of Catholics
receiving the sacraments from non-Catholics. It sets the following
strict conditions:

    a. necessity or genuine spiritual advantage
    b. when the danger of error or indifferentism is avoided
    c. it is physically or morally impossible to approach a Catholic minister
    d. a church which has valid sacraments

This last condition is the key one, since it eliminates ALL the
Reformation churches (Anglican, Episcopalian, Presbyterian, Methodist,
Baptist etc.), none of whom have valid sacred orders, and therefore, a
valid Eucharist.