This can get confusing, so bear with me...

What your state is attempting to do is declare all such "high capacity"
firearms as being machine guns.

Machine guns are banned from civilian ownership at the federal level, *BUT* if
you file a BATF Form 4, you can get a waiver of this ban for a specific machine
gun.  The filing fee is $200.00, you need fingerprints from a law enforcement
agency, the approval signature of the chief law enforcement officer (the
Sheriff, for instance) of your jurisdiction, and a color mug shot.  The process
takes about 90 - 120 days, and they check everything from municipal records all
the way to Interpol (and probably Homeland Security these days) to make sure
you're clean as a whistle.

If your state doesn't specifically ban the civilian ownership of machine guns
(IIRC, California does), then that Form 4, once approved, gives you the right
to own and operate that machine gun.

If your state does ban the civilian ownership of machine guns, that Form 4 does
you no good, and you're in violation of state law by just being in possession
of it within state lines.

That's the first part.  The second part is transportation, and that's entirely
up to both state and municipal laws, so it varies from city to city, town to
town.

Though you should check this out with *all* the powers that be in your area,
the safest thing to do is transport as follows:

1) Disassemble the firearm such that it cannot be quickly reassembled.  For
example, removing the bolt and keeping it in your glove compartment.

2) Even if disassembled, use some sort of action lock on the firearm's receiver
(the main part of the gun).  Most gun stores carry them.  I like the cable kind
because they fit just about anything.

3) Separate all ammunition from the firearm.  If the gun's in the trunk, put
the ammo in the cab, preferably outside the easy reach of passengers.

What you're showing law enforcement is that you are following the spirit of as
many such laws as you can imagine.  Most of the time these things come down to
"officer's discretion" if there's a minor technical infraction.

Check all this out with an attorney who is familiar with this area of the law.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction.

Respectfully,

Adam Phillip Churvis

Get advanced intensive Master-level training in
C# & ASP.NET 2.0 for ColdFusion Developers at
ProductivityEnhancement.com