That is true.  The young ladies I know that are at or near the age of 15 think
they are adults.  Most are fairly mature, but I still would not trust them in
New Orleans by themselves.

On a lighter note, I personally have enjoyed walking through the French
Quarter.  I used to work on Poydras St, about 5 blocks away, and would walk
through there every day for lunch.  I carried my camera and got some great
architectural shots.  Katrina ate the computer they were on and the hard drive
may not be recoverable.

I suspect the meet will be at the New Orleans Arena.  That neighborhood is
generally good, on the edge of the business district.  It has the usual set of
skunks who try to prey on tourists.  However, one of the more notorious
projects is about a mile from there.  On the other hand, the historic
Storeyville is in that area as well.

The public transportation is safe and pervasive.  You can get to about every
area of the city on a bus or streetcar.  Let the driver know you are a visitor
and where you need to go.  They will usually help you out.  You can also
purchase passes that will allow you to ride the busses all day in both Orleans
and Jefferson Parishes.  Last time I saw the price it was $6.00.  Not bad since
a round trip on a bus would run you about $3.00.

If you do come down, drop me a line and we could probably meet up.  If you can,
try to find and read the book "Confederacy of Dunces."  It will give you an
idea of the life in New Orleans.  It is a bit of a caricature, but we really
have folks like Ignatius Riley here.  My wife is a textbook "Y'at" and will axe
you questions while washing the dishes in the zinc.  She doesn't berl the erl,
but she will go make groceries.

Finally, remember the answer to the statement "Bet you I can tell you where you
got your shoes" is "On my feet, on this street."