I know, one man's fishing paradise is another man's redneck hellhole ;)

I like:
Remote, with broadband available
Diversity
Universities
Interesting restaurants and bookstores.

I'm against:
Periodic floods, riots, earthquakes or hurricanes.
Lack of local medical care
a surfeit of alligators or fire-breathing Baptists

I'd add that green chile is a criteria, but that would limit the
choices quite a bit. Mind you, staying here another year or too means
the worst my kids can do for college is a free ride in the state
system, which means the incentives to move would have to be powerful
;)

I don't really care about the local political party. Corruption I
would prefer to do without but you know the odds of that.

Dana