I'm, not familiar with BlackBoard but it sounds like a CODEC issue (that's
the behavior when WMP can decide audio but not video - it plays what it can
and shows the visualization).

Unfortunately peripheral makers still make attempts to lock people into
their hardware via software.  Many webcam makers ship software that record
in proprietary CODECs.  At worst you need their software to see the results,
at best they provide a CODEC pack to allow others to see it.

If this is the problem then it's an easy fix - just record in something
else.  Nearly all these tools let's you pick a more generally portable CODEC
(like WMV) but they rarely make it default.  To see what that particular
file uses you can Google "GSPOT CODEC" and hit the first link - it's a
little tool which will determine which CODEC was used to create a file and
whether or not the current system can play it.

Jim Davis