It looks like the old democratic political machine in New Orleans is continuing
to self destruct.

Thomas has court date; expected to resign council seat

http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/wwl081207jboliver.2a5163ec.html

City Council Vice-President Oliver Thomas was expected in federal court Monday
to enter a plea on charges that he demanded payments from a parking lot vendor.
Sources tell Eyewitness News that Thomas is expected to plead guilty and resign
his council seat.

Loyola Law Professor Dane Ciolino said Thomas likely violated the Hobbs Act and
could be charged with wire fraud and/ or mail fraud involving a city parking
contract – charges that could still be within the five year statute of
limitations to prosecute.

Cioliono said it was likely Thomas was not in the direct aim of the feds, but
was likely "sold out" by someone else involved in the City Hall corruption
probe.

“I would doubt that Oliver was someone who was in the sights of the U.S.
Attorney's Office,” Ciolino said. “Probably after some indictments started
coming in and some guilty pleas started to roll in - particularly with Mr.
Barre. The information started to accumulate that some other officials have
been involved in wrongdoing. And that's typically how these cases develop.”

Ciolino was referring to Pampy Barre, the owner of Pampy’s Incorporated – a
restaurant and concession business that also operated out of Louis Armstrong
International Airport. Barre pleaded guilty to skimming hundreds of thousands
of dollars from a city contract.

Eyewitness News attempted to contact Mayor Ray Nagin and every City Council
member Sunday to get reaction to the allegations against Oliver Thomas.

Mayor Nagin’s office said it would not comment until Thomas released an
official statement and most council members agreed to comment after official
proceedings on Monday.

Council President Arnie Fielkow released the following statement:

"I have become aware of the reports which have just recently come to light
regarding Councilman-at-Large Oliver Thomas. It would be inappropriate for me
to comment on or speculate beyond what has been reported at this time. However,
as Council President, I am closely monitoring the current situation, and will
have further comment as developments warrant.”

Councilwoman Shelley Midura said “no comment.”

Councilwoman Cynthia Hedge-Morrell said she was “still in shock,” and added
“It’s such a travesty and terrible thing.”

Councilwoman Cynthia Willard-Lewis said they are still allegations and
“it’s an unfortunate situation” and she is prayerful for Oliver and his
family.

Eyewitness News also contacted former Mayor Marc Morial who acknowledged he
heard about the allegations, but also said “no comment.”

Former District A Councilman Jay Batt worked with Oliver Thomas and said he
knew the councilman to be a good family man who had been through tragedy with
the death of a child. Batt described Thomas as a good business leader and a
public servant who worked to build coalitions, especially between the black and
white communities. He also described Thomas as a man of character.

“None of us saw this coming,” said Batt, who believes it creates a negative
national perception, and will be another black eye for people who are working
hard to rebuild the city.

“It’s not very positive,” Batt said, “and as you know Nancy Pelosi is I
think arriving today and besides Ray Nagin, Oliver Thomas is the other face of
the city. I mean President Bush referred to him as the Big ‘O’ – I mean
he is well known.”

Batt said the local perception about government is suffering as well.

“You saw everybody who was aghast at the new assessments that they received
from Nancy Marshall and the other assessors – well most of the people I know
said they wouldn’t mind paying that if they saw the money being spent wisely
and utilized for the schools and the streets and the police, but they haven’t
seen that kind of responsible spending from our elected officials in quite some
time.”

Batt said for years the national business perception was that you have to
‘pay to play’ in Louisiana.

“It’s going to take a while for it to change that mentality nationwide,
we’re probably going to have to do marketing campaigns once all this
corruption is cleaned up. We’re going to have to do marketing campaigns just
to tell people that we are clean and that we work hard and it’s not the same
ole same ole.”

Ciolino said the latest allegations involving Thomas add to a continuing
problem plaguing the city:

“The real problem is this corruption cancer that we seem to have in our city
that leads people to be skeptical and cynical about their government, and
perhaps make them not want to come back or make them want to leave if they’re
here.”