At those ages you want to get them into the Cub Scouts.  They have changed a
lot since I was one.  Now they go camping (with families) and do more outdoor
things than when 30+ years ago.

>So I have two boys, seven and five (yesterday!).

See if you can bring them to a Pack meeting.  There is usually activities for
the kids as well as the normal awards and advancements.  Then bring them to a
Den meeting.  If they like it, there is an application and dues, but that is
really about it.

Packs usually meet monthly for giving awards and advancements and some common
play/activity time.  There are often monthly activities where the Dens compete
against each other (Pinewood Derby, Pinewood Regatta, etc.).  The Dens, which
are usually age specific, meet weekly to work on the skills required for
advancement.

I sat through a Den meeting last night for the older boys (10).  They had an
opening ceremony, some time to play, a skills learning activity (fire building
and safety with candy and chips) and a closing ceremony.  A Den meeting should
last 90 minutes and a Pack meeting 60 to 120.

>There is a neighborhood dad that is troop leader I've talked to about
>getting involved, but just put it off.  What's involved in bringing my kids
>down?

As a parent of a Cub, it is really up to you.  Some parents are really active
and lead, work and plan the meetings.  Other just attend the pack meetings and
help thier son work on the skills they are learning.  Depending on the boy, the
parent can choose how active they want to be.

Dues, etc. are set by the local organizations.  The troop I joined is $56 a
year - $16 to the Area Council and $50 to the troop.  The troop I was in 20
years ago was $12 for the Council and $26 for the troop.  The troop funds help
buy tents, laterns, and other common camping equipment.

As an Assistant Scout Master I spend about 5 hours a week.  I spend 2 hours at
the meeting and 3 to 4 hours preparing for the meeting.