I mean no insult to your father.  He sounds as if he was a knowledgable and
dedicated man.  Be did he set policy or just carry it through.  The NFS policy
wonks seemed to be, in most cases, ignorant of the role fire played forest and
wetland ecology.

The policies promulgated to the Kisatchie and DeSoto forests at least were
poorly thought through and implemented.  The US Army did a better job of
maintaining the Kistachie forest as a training area than NFS employees did as a
forest.

Fire is very important to the health of a forest, but the NFS policies are set
in DC, not in the regions where the forests need assistance.

Today I can drive 3 hours to a forest that has not seen a fire in 30 years.  It
is impossible to traverse through portions of it because of the understory.
The understory has taken away habitat for endangered species such as gopher
tortoise, pine snake and red-cockaded woodpecker.

All I was saying in my original post was that the forests nation wide need to
have either fire ecology reintroduced immediately or allow them to managed
through forestry harvest practices.  Otherwise we will see more devastating
wild fires.