>So,
>
>I suddenly remembered I have a PS3 sitting on my desk today. I plugged
>in the network jack and downloaded the latest update.
>It's installing now, what can I expect and what should I try first?

First thing you always should do: grab the free stuff!  ;^)

There are quite a few worthwhile demos:

"Resistance: The Fall of Man" is a GREAT FPS... and I usually don't care much
for FPSs.  In fact there's really only three that I've really liked recently:
"Half-Life 2", "Bioshock" and "Resistance".  It's not revolutionary but it has
an enormously fun collection of weapons, an engrossing story, interesting
enemies and near-perfect pacing.  I LOVE the big battle segments.

"Heavenly Sword" is a very short demo (you can blaze throught it in under 10
miutes and it's hard to make it stretch to 30), but gorgeous.  Although the
actual time you'll spend in a session is small there's quite a bit of depth
learning all of the moves and attack stances so you can easily while away an
afternoon going through it over and over.

"Ninja Gaiden" is what you boot into to see "pretty".  The game is a double-dip
and pretty damn frustrating but it's damn attractive and the demo's a good hour
of two of play at least.

"Folklore" just hit a few days ago.  I've only touched on it but it's beautiful.

There are lots of sports and racing games to choose from ("Ridge Racer",
"MotorStorm", "Dirt", etc)  Take your pick if you're into that kind of thing.

As for the actual downloadable games (all of which, I believe, have demos) the
best are "Super Stardust" (I SUCK at it but I just can't stop playing), "Flow"
(the best non-game game ever) and "Calling All Cars" (one of the absolute
funnest multi-player games around).  I've actually been playing a lot of
"Piyatomo" as well - it's a cute puzzler, not great, but hell - it's only
$2.99.  Of the older, non-exclusive games "Lemmings" is probably the best -
completely redone for PS3.  The rest ("Q-Bert", "Rampage", etc) are simple
arcade ports - fun if you like the game but nothing extra.

>I see that they are actually doing Digital Distribution of Full Games
>now? Or is Warhawk the demo?

Warhawk is the full game.  you can, for $40, get the game via PSN or, for $60,
get the game on Blu-Ray with additional bonus material (documentary's and such)
and a blue-tooth headset.  The game is exactly the same no matter which you
choose.

Sony's going to be doing a lot of this - there will be games with downloadable
and packaged versions.  Sometimes those packaged versions will be for the PS3
and sometimes for the PSP.  They're getting very creative with distribution.

Jim Davis