I actually kind of like that.  Although even on normal I am having some
trouble at the end here... saving the base form the striders.  I've got
three down but those next (maybe last?) two keep handing me my ass (the
hunters more than the striders actually).

Still I never thought about the game the in terms of difficulty - it's a
really engaging story with really interesting locations.  In most other
shooters I often just get bored really fast and end up entering God Mode
just to see the end quickly.  "Doom 3" and "Return to Wolfenstein" were both
like this for me - within the first hour or so you've seen the same thing
over and over and over and over and over.

"Doom 3" was especially brutal in this regard I thought.  Not only did you
have to fight with the utterly ridiculous mechanic of the flashlight but it
was just plodding hours of:

1) Enter a room.

2) Either lights go out or you fall into a hole.

3) Get attacked by monsters that have appeared out of nowhere.

4) Return to step one.

But I've never felt that way about any of the "Half-Life" games (or
"Bioshock" or "Resistance" for that matter).  You just can't over-estimate
the appeal of a well-told story.

The gravity gun is a tremendous asset.  I've found so places in the three
games where you can give yourself an edge using it interestingly.  For
example in the "disable the gun" mission on Episode 2 (where you have to
destroy the gun while Alyx fixes the car) I was able to carry a file-cabinet
from one of the out buildings and use it as a shield throughout the level.
It wasn't _needed_, but it did help.

Later when I was able to destroy the gun I actually missed the fact that the
explosion had blown an escape hole through the wall: I ended up building a
staircase out of the shelving and boxes which I used to climb out of the
window I had fallen in through.

The only game that's come close to this kind of improvisational freedom is
"Bioshock" with the TK Plasmid... but even then there really wasn't that
much to actually grab.

Jim Davis