I am looking for a NAS solution for home and wonder what others are using...

I love the idea of the Drobo but am not sure I want to lay out that much
right now.
http://www.drobo.com/

Ideal features would be a simple device utilising SATA drives, network
presentation as one big drive but still retaining the ability to stick the
drives into a PC for data recovery should the device fail on me since that
has happened before and I lost loads of data :-( This means a striped array
is out of the question since a failure of the device would render the data
lost.

A software solution would do but since my main PC at home is Vista Ultimate
I don't want to downgrade to windows home server which I understand offers a
similar feature set to the Drobo device. If there is software out there that
lets me have my 2 300Gb drives shown as 1 600Gb drive and lets me add drives
to this as storage requires, that will do nicely.

--
Jay

14:31