I don't have a great deal of information that people would want to steal but
I've seen enough laptops stolen/lost that I also would really rather have my
drive be unreadable should that happen to mine. Anyone have any suggestions
on software and/or hardware that they've used to lock down computing
devices?

Along the same lines, I know that I can just email myself information as a
back up, but I kind of like the idea of having a secure, encrypted spot for
backing up important information somewhere offsite in case there was a house
fire or some such.

All suggestions and horror stories appreciated.

Judah