Bruce Lee had mad skills but he was an actor.

:From what I've heard, there's some sort of "mixed martial arts" that is
:more boxing with some other things thrown in to make use of the feet, but
:the majority of the battle is done with fists.  Is this correct?  Is this
:the stuff I see on commercials where they fight in a cage?  I don't include
:these guys in my argument, because it looks like they are mostly boxers
:anyway, and they look like serious contenders.  Educate me on this, will
:you?

You're thinking of Muay-Thai, also called Thai Boxing, it's the national
sport of Thailand. it's based on a ancient Thai martial arts system Muay
Boran. It involves punches, kicking, shins, knees and elbows, and they're
every bit as tough as western boxers, probably more so, the only padding
they wear in the professional ranks is on the hands. Elbows, shins, feet and
knees are uncovered and are thrown full contact. I wont get into what these
guys think of western boxers.

If you want to see something even nastier, watch a Sanshou fight, it's the
combat form of Wu-Shu.. it's Thai Boxing with more head kicks, throws and
takedowns..

Cage fighting (UFC, King of the Cage, etc) involves multiple disciplines,
stand up and ground fighting
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_martial_arts)

Boxers or any single discipline fighter have been historically and
systematically destroyed in UFC, K-1 and Pride/FC, with the exception of
Brazilian (Gracie) Jiu Jitsu... until Royce Gracie was beaten by Kazushi
Sakuraba, a practioner of catch wrestling.

Boxers are tough, don't get me wrong, and many are truly skilled, powerful
fighters, but to think that a single discipline fighter will beat someone
with striking and ground abilities, not to mention knowledge of joint locks
and takedowns, is just wrong... I'm a single discipline fighter, I'll hold
my own against the average joe on the street, but against someone with
ground skills I'm in trouble (which is why I'm working to rectify this
situation)

Ask the boxers at your son's school, if they'd want to get into a street
fight with a professional Muay Thai fighter, or a professional mixed martial
artist, I think you'll be surprised at the answer.

--
Scott Stewart
ColdFusion Developer

SSTWebworks