> Scott wrote:
> I'm considering buying a diesel (god, I wish they'd make a diesel wrangler)
> because there are biodiesel outlets close enough to make it feasible.

yeah, I just don't understand all these complicated "solutions".  We
can build cars that run on Fabrege Eggs and eagle feathers too, but
why?

This sh1t literally grows on trees and solves lots of global problems
in doing so:
--------------------------
Currently the oil from Jatropha curcas seeds is used for making
biodiesel fuel in Philippines, promoted by a law authored by
Philippine senators Miriam Defensor-Santiago and Miguel Zubiri.
Likewise, jatropha oil is being promoted as an easily grown biofuel
crop in hundreds of projects throughout India and other developing
countries. [1] [4] The rail line between Mumbai and Delhi is planted
with Jatropha and the train itself runs on 15-20% biodiesel. [1] In
Africa, cultivation of jatropha is being promoted and is grown
successfully in countries such as Mali. [5]

The plant can grow in wastelands, fertilises the soil that it grows
in, and yields more than four times as much fuel per hectare as
soybean; more than ten times that of corn. Jatropha produces about
1,892 liters of fuel per hectare (about 202 US gallons per acre or 4.8
barrels per acre).[6]

Jatropha can also be intercropped with other cash crops such as
coffee, sugar, fruits and vegetables.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jatropha#Vegoil_and_biodiesel

Here's the plan:

(1.) Begin phasing in clean diesel.  Older diesel engines can be
retrofitted, cars can be built with newer diesel tech.

(2.) Begin developing bio-diesel production methods such as from Jatropha.

(3.) Begin phasing out non-bio engines and fuels.

(4.) Full bio-diesel production.

Timeline: 10-20 years.  Done and done.