> gMoney wrote:
> I'm with you. Question: Can one nation's standing army be used to protect
> the citizens of another country, who's own army is not strong enough to do
> so? Or can your army ONLY be used to protect you?

This is where there is SO MUCH confusion because what is "defense" and
who prosecutes it is undefined which creates the opportunity for a
liberal foreign policy president to use the military to do all kinds
of things in the name of defense.

By re-architecting the mission of our forces we could eliminate this
loophole - maybe something like this:

(1.) Create a new department for nation building under the State department.
     (1.1.) Create a security component made up of the guys who
normally go to Blackwater.
     (1.2.) Expand their intelligence wing.
     (1.3.) Add a civil engineering team(s).

(2.) Use the defense department for 2 things:
     (3.1) Preparation and execution of foreign wars with those that
have attacked the US or allies
     (3.2) Preparation and execution of defense from foreign attacks
(e.g., SDI, border threats from smuggling, et al)

(3.) Expand DHS, putting border patrol, National Guard, etc under them
and responsible for coordinating and defending the homeland from
foreign attacks or natural disasters.