That's a great idea. Our dog goes nuts when the door bell rings. I'm gonna
start working with him this weekend and see if I can eventually get Sammy to
ignore the doorbell.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 5:07 PM
To: CF-Community
Subject: Re: light and shadow... and my crazy a$$ dog...

On 1/18/08, morchella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> so my dog Lucy is starting to become a little more neurotic...
> if a reflection of natural light moves in the room it spooks her.
> she will run around for minutes trying to figure out if it aware...or
> what ever..
> if i walk by a light and cast a shadow, she does the same thing. as if
> it is some thing brand new & un-natural.

comfort her and distract her, pretend like its nothing, you
distracting her is the biggest part...

> this has only started happening over the last few weeks or so.
> we have had her for about 2 years now...
>
> perhaps i shouldnt have played laser chase with her, but that was only
> a few times several months ago.

nope, that woulda made things worse.  best thing to do is distract her
and calm her... so that she doesnt flip out.

we just bought a new doorbell for our new old house, and before we did
anything with it, we put it on the floor so they could all (our three little
ones), and gave them treats when they heard the NEW SOUND.

so that we could avoid the run to the door excitement and barking when
visitors come, instead now, they seek us out, and the floor and look
for treats they first got when they heard that sound.  its all about
changing their behaviour with good things.

tw