> I saw this documentary on Discovery about deadly spiders...and there is
> one that is very aggressive and will attack YOU without very much
> provocation as though you were prey.

Yeah .. it's the banana spider, or something like that.  They don't live in
Europe or North America.  And, I don't think they attack you because you are
"prey", I think it's just that they require *very* little provocation to
bite.  I was talking about normal household spiders common to north america
and Europe.

> And what do you mean unless you hurt them? If they crawl into your
> shoe..and you stick your foot in..as far as they are concerned you're
> trying to kill htem..they attack.

Your logic is impeccable.  Squashing a spider with your foot would
definately be hurting it ;)  Here's an idea .. if you know spiders sometimes
get in your house, look in your shoes before you put them on. This goes for
those of you who live around scorpions too. =-p

> If you are sleeping and they are in your bed and you move...you are
> bitten.

Like I said, we get about 3 to 5 coming in the house at night and I've never
had a problem with them.  I've never been bitten in my life, actually.

> Some people have a terrible terrible reaction to spider poison where
> their flesh rots and falls away, and so far there is no sure medical
> cure.

Yeah .. if they are bitten by spiders with hemotoxin, such as the brown
recluse.  It's called necrosis.  I believe they are making some progress in
treating it with shock therapy.

> So..sometimes it is better to err on the side of caution, unless you are
> confident that you can recognise these things.

It's pretty easy to recognise a black widow or a brown recluse.  The rest
don't warrant much worrying about.  Then again, that's just me *shrug*