On Jan 22, 2008 7:07 PM, Tony <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> anyone own one?
> seen one in person?
>
> ive seen a buncha lcd's lately and quite honestly this seems to be the
> best look to me.

coming in kinda late here, but i'll agree with rick.  "off brands"
have never much scared me.  i think they're generally made with most
of the same components as the big name brands... they just lack the
hood ornament :)

my first HDTV was an akai 47" rear projection.  got it for under $1000
(this was around 3 years ago... so that was a great price).  i knew it
wasn't going to be "good" HDTV, but it was better than what i was used
to, and that was good enough for me.  i'm not an audio/video-phile, so
a few artifacts here and there don't really concern me.

in the bedroom we had a Niko 26" lcd.  for a brief period of time,
that actually became the "main" tv,  again, i was always pretty happy
watching it.  it might look bad next to a top-of-the-line sony 1080p
at best buy... but luckily there was no 1080p sony hanging next to it
in my living room :)

we no longer have the akai, and our current "main" tv is a hitachi
P42H401.  saw it at best buy as an open box with an additional 10%
off, and got it for $710 and change a couple of months ago.  i wasn't
necessarily in the market for a plamsa (versus an lcd), as plasmas
tend to be darker... but again, without a wall full of lcds
surrounding it in my living room, i'd be hard pressed to tell.

i guess it all depends on your "pedigree" and what you're using it
for.  you've mentioned that you can see the washed out blacks, so you
probably have a much more discriminating eye than i do.  i also don't
game on the tv... sounds like some of the issues you're noticing are
during game play.  so can't really offer up anything there (unless
someone wants to buy me a wii... i'll play it for a few weeks and
report back) :)

i may not have top-of-the-line equipment, but lemme tell ya... my
giants are lookin' damn good in even mediocre HD :)

--
"Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed
of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a