Whilst free ones obviously work (see Ben) they do have their drawbacks (re:
losers).

You are embarking on a mission to find a soulmate to spend your life with.
Spending a few bucks a month for quality listings should be a no brainer.
Kinda weeds out the tire kickers perhaps.

I was lucky enough to find my man in town, however, I was a match.com user
before that and found them to be the best of the best as far as UI and
amount of people out there.

Just saying, sometimes you get what you pay for ...