.... that is, in an utterly cool way, marginally involved in the upcoming
movie!

This is a childhood friend of my wife's.  She lives in Seattle now and signs
out to many and varied scientific expeditions (she has, I believe, a degree
in marine biology).  Besides being an absolute sweetheart she's just one of
those people that seems to find herself in interesting situations.  She's
flown into the eye of a hurricane, spent months at sea and in the arctic.

And that's where our story begins.  You see the head of the arctic
expedition that she's a part of is a HUGE "Stargate" fan.  He contacted the
producers and informed them of his somewhat unique situation and they took
him up on his implied offer and decided to shoot part of the movie there.
He was even given a cameo in the film.

Along with the crew and producers Richard Dean Anderson, Ben Browder and
Amanda Tapping made the trip and stayed with the team for several days.

Our friend was a part of that expedition.  Amongst other, sciencey things,
she was also a cook.  There not being many women in the group she and Amanda
Tapping where bunk-mates for the duration.  Accommodations are limited at
the best of times... it IS the freakin' North Pole; but I can honestly say
that I know somebody that slept with (or, to be honest, near) Amanda
Tapping.  ;^)

(The following pictures are all pretty large, about 1.5 meg each.  Sorry
about the quality... cold hands and cameras apparently make for blurry
pictures.)

Here's a coupla shots of the camp:

http://www.depressedpress.com/external/stargate/IMG_5039.jpg
http://www.depressedpress.com/external/stargate/IMG_5046.jpg

Here's some shots of folks at the chow line (Ben Browder, Amanda Tapping and
Richard Dean Anderson):

http://www.depressedpress.com/external/stargate/IMG_5090.jpg
http://www.depressedpress.com/external/stargate/IMG_5094.jpg
http://www.depressedpress.com/external/stargate/IMG_5125.jpg

And here's our friend prepping something.  Something brown:

http://www.depressedpress.com/external/stargate/IMG_5145.jpg

Here's what I think is a script meeting followed by a close-up of Richard
Dean Anderson:

http://www.depressedpress.com/external/stargate/IMG_5131.jpg
http://www.depressedpress.com/external/stargate/IMG_5175.jpg

Here's a couple of our friend and stars (Richard Dean Anderson and a blurry
Amanda Tapping):

http://www.depressedpress.com/external/stargate/IMG_5178.jpg
http://www.depressedpress.com/external/stargate/IMG_5180.jpg

Finally here's a shot of the whole crew:

http://www.depressedpress.com/external/stargate/IMG_5184.jpg

Everybody on the team was apparently given "crew" jackets and kits and
(we're pretty sure) will be listed in the credits of the movie.

Of course our friend had never even seen the show (or "Farscape" for that
matter since Ben Browder was there as well) and had no idea what all the
fuss was about.  It also means that she paid no attention whatsoever to the
actual scripts being run a few feet from her so I've got no spoilers.  ;^)

Still... even if you're not a fan of the show it's gotta be great to have a
story about running into "MacGyver" at the North Pole.

Jim Davis