My read on the second amendment, which reads "A well regulated
Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of
the People to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." is this -
the text includes both the words State and People.  It does not say
that the State has the right to arm People, it says that People have
the right to bear arms.

Additionally, the fourth amendment reads, "The right of the people to
be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against
unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no
Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or
affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and
the persons or things to be seized." which to me says that unless
there is probable cause, the state has no right to search or seize my
property.  A weapon is my own property.

Finally, the fourteenth amendment states, "All persons born or
naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction
thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein
they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States;
nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property,
without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its
jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws." which means that,
along with the fourth amendment, I have the right to hold (bear) my
property unless given due process.

As written today, that means that I have the right to own a weapon as
my personal property.  Only if I break a standing law of the state or
the State is there probable cause for it's removal from my posession,
and only then after due process has been served.

Hatton