>This year may make or break Roger as the "greatest ever". If he goes on to
>win 2 or 3 more grand slams, including a French, and remains unbeatable on
>the hard court in the other tournaments....then I think we're there. But
>he's been beaten a few times lately, and young players like this Novak are
>challenging him more and more.

I'd agree with that...but I've yet to see him lose when he plays his best (or
even close to it). He definitely did not play well against Novak at the
Australian, but it's hard to say how much was due to illness versus other
factors.

>Is Roger much of a threat on clay? Not really.

Considering he has reached the finals of the French two years running, I would
certainly say he is a threat. He *has* beaten Nadal on clay, so the possibility
of him winning is definitely there. In comparison, Pete only got as far as the
semifinals, and only once. He really struggled with that surface.

I think the issue for Federer on clay really is mostly mental at this point. He
has all the tools to win, but on the slower clay, you just cannot get winners
past Nadal that easily, the way he is used to doing. He gets impatient and
frustrated, and that's how you lose matches.

>Personally, I HATE clay court tennis....playing tennis on dirt is
>ridiculous, so I'm more willing to forgive players who struggle playing
>tennis on the moon.

LOL, I actually love watching them on clay...it's like the beach volleyball
equivalent for tennis. Gritty and dirty, it's great.