On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 1:39 PM, G Money <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Detroit should have stuck with it's core guys and continued to develop
> from
> their farm.
>
> I thought it was great seeing you guys go from a laughing stock in 2003,
> the World Series in 2006, with mostly home spun talent.....Verlander and
> Bonderman and Maroth and Inge...but then you go out and sell your soul.
> You
> make the same mistake so many other teams make....."we are just a few
> pieces
> of the puzzle away, lets sign Big Money Free-Agent A and Big Money
> Free-Agent B....."
>
> I was a huge Tigers fan in 2006...now your just another organization with
> bloated lineup and over paid superstars........headed for an early playoff
> exit.

You're a hypocrite then.  Sure, Bonderman, Verlander, and Maroth were
(mostly) home grown.  robertson came up first with the Marlins.  Neither
Maroth nore Bonderman were drafted by Detroit, though they both played their
first major league ball with Detroit.

Look at the offensive starters for that team:

Ivan rodriguez, placido polanco, Carlos Guillen, Sean Casey, Magglio
Ordonez... all hired guns.

Let's not forget Kenny Rogers who was officially the "#1 Starter", and Todd
Jones the closer.. both hired guns.  Or, as we like to call him, "Todd
Fucking Jones"

How are we so much more about "hired guns" now than we were then?  We traded
some prospects for much needed help at two positions, third base and
starting pitching, which struggled last year.  You can't have Brandon Inge
as a starter on a championship team.  I love the guy, but his bat just isn't
enough for third base.

Aside from that, we replaced Sean Casey at first with Edgar Renteria at
shortstop.. replacing a hired gun with another, and moved away from
shortstop.

No, if you liked the Tigers in 2006, and you don't like them now, you've got
to have better reasoning, because the hiring of players started BEFORE 2006.

Rick