I'm not sure how it is now, but during the Vietnam war lots of guys
went from boot camp to battlefield in less than 6 months. My husband
was one of them.  Reported to boot camp in March, shipped to Nam in
August.  He had little or no combat training before going, working as
a company clerk for two months before shipping to Nam.  So I don't
think it's a good idea to send someone into battle with so little
training, but it happens, or it did then.

But even if you call it a year of training, why does it take one year
for US soldiers and 3 plus years for Iraqs?  Or to look to the past,
Vietnamese?  Cause that's the same line the Johnson administration
used.  "we can't leave until we train the South Vietnamese to defend
themselves"...

And now Bush wants permanent bases, so I guess it's gonna take even
longer.  Perhaps, as Cheney said at the very beginning "the rest of
our lives'.