> But the far more interesting question is: by what percentage have you reduced
> your fuel consumption (just direct use, not indirect somewhere up the chain)
> due to h
> high prices?

I have begun to ride the bus again. $5 per day ($2.50 a ride, there
and back) as opposed to $8.78 (2 gallons of gas @$4.39 (this morning's
mid-grade price).

I bought a monthly bus pass for $55 bucks the other day ($90 for the
2.50/ride Pass minus $35 "Commute Bonus" from my company), so my
actual cost per ride goes down after 22 uses or 11 days of riding the
bus (each ride is one use).

I also telecommute one day a week. One guy in my group is
telecommuting 3 days a week now, so the odd cultural bias against it
is changing.

At my house our big change is that now my wife is riding the train to
work in the morning (the train station is two blocks from her office)
and the bus home. So two days a week she's commuting at a ticket price
of $4.75 ($3.50 for the train and $1.25 for the bus) and that compares
favorably to the round trip price of ~$9.00 in her car.

She uses my pass on the day of the week that I work from home so her
out of pocket cost for that day is $1.00 since she can use the pass on
the train (and pay the $1 overage) and the bus is also covered with
the pass. Extra bonus, her uses of my pass reduces my per use cost.

So it breaks out like this:

To drive to work it costs me $44 a week in gas (one tank/week) @4.3
weeks per month (52/12) that's $189.00/month. It's $55 for the bus
pass. It's become a *real* no-brainer...

For my wife the equation is a little less painful: $18 ($77.40/month)
for the two days driving to work compared to $5.75 ($24.72/month)
total for those same two days commuting on the train and bus.

Oh, and I ride the same bus I did a couple years ago when there was
always a seat. now the bus is packed full by the second stop on the
route, with no room left even for standers.

so I'm not the only one that has done the math.

> As long as that percentage remains (close to) zero chances are prices will
> continue to rise.

+1 sadly... and there are still a lot of folks out there for which
giving up their car is too painful a thought, or for whom the
bus/train routes don't get them where they need to go...

--
will

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true;
and that would just be unacceptable."
- Carrie Fisher