Actually anybody with $4k can get a plate made - with any image they want
(after approval).

But only the state can issue plates with words on it - so while I could pay
$4k for an FSM plate I couldn't have it say "For His Noodley Appendages".
But the Christian plate, as an official state plate, will have the words "I
Believe" on it.  It will also be selectable in the state's registration
process as an "official" plate.

As far as I've been able to tell private citizens can't petition an official
state plate into existence - they can only create custom, wordless plates.

> Not everyone will be approved. So is it still discrimination?
>
> I say yes.

I think so as well.  But I also think that this trend of monetizing license
plates is ridiculous.  We need big, black and white federally-issued numbers
preceded by the two letter state abbreviation.  I also want a single, US
driver's license... screw state's rights when it comes to the roads.  It
shouldn't take me 6 months to get my license transferred from NY to MA
because there's a "Jim Davis" in PA who's a felon.

There should also be federally controlled traffic regulations... no more of
this "drop down to 55" crap just because I've got the misfortune of cutting
across the corner of Road Island on a trip.

Yeah... that's the stuff.

Jim Davis