Are you so sure? Meeting with people in private is not the same as
giving a speech in public. After all, police, firefighters/paramedics,
cleanup crews - all sorts of public services will be used for this
event. Presumably those public services will be paid for by German
taxpayer dollars. City costs for an event of this size could be in the
hundreds of thousands of euros. And the Mayor of Berlin has
specifically said he is doing it to push the campaign of Barack Obama.
Are we to understand that public officials in other countries are free
to provide material contributions to the campaigns of our candidates?
Is that really what you are suggesting?

This is not a partisan issue. I would call out John McCain or any
other politician who tried to do the same thing.