My professor had discovered that he had cancer past the point where
they could even tell what he had cancer of. The lecture I am talking
about was in fact his last lecture. It has become clear the the chemo
wasn't working. This was a University of New Mexico seminar on native
american philosophy and he talked about how he felt to be dying as a
Pueblo Indian vs how he felt to be dying as an academic with a PH.D
living in an Anglo environment. Two quite different things apparently.
Certainly the bravest thing I have ever seen.

This professor that just died, well, apparently his university had a
lecture series called "Last Lecture" where the lecturer was supposed
to speak about the things that mattered most to him as though it was
his last lecture. At his 'last lecture' this professor announced that
he had pancreatic cancer (almost always fatal). He then went on to
talk about what it means to know you are dying and what he would like
to say while he had the chance. The video of that one is online, if
you are interested.