>> Nine Princes in Amber - Roger Zelazny
>
>I love it and I think it's a definite classic of the genre.... but I'm not
>sure about its overall "classitudity".

While Nine Princes in Amber is good, there is other books of his that are
better, such as Lord of Light or Kalifriki of the Thread, Jack of Shadows or
The Doors of His Face, the Lamps of His Mouth. But the one book of his that I
would include that is a paean to modern horror literature and movies is A Night
in the Lonesome October.

>If you're talking fantasy however I do think that the "Amber" series in
>general is often, criminally, overlooked.  I'm surprised how often I hear
>that people have never heard of it... people that (rightly so) inhale
>Tolkien, Moorcock, Leiber, Donaldson, etc

Not Donaldson, his Thomas Covenant series was wooden and over hyped.

>Although I did find this recently:  It's the original list of "Inspirational
>Reading" that was published as an appendix in the first edition of the
>"Dungeon Master's Guide" by Gary Gygax:
>
>http://ulmo.mux.net/fantasy/gygax.html
>
>It's another good list to dissect (although it was written in 1978, I
>believe, so some many modern classics like the "Thomas Covenant" books
>aren't represented).

Probably because it isn't a classic. If they were awarding points for whiners,
it would be right up there.