> "This country is more decent

= can do better

than one where a woman in Ohio, on the
> brink of retirement, finds herself one illness away from disaster
> after a lifetime of hard work."

this is the failure, caused by social policies

> "We're a better country

= can do better

than one where a man in Indiana has to pack up
> the equipment that he's worked on for 20 years and watch as it's
> shipped off to China, and then chokes up as he explains how he felt
> like a failure when he went home to tell his family the news."

this is the failure, caused by social policies

> "We are more compassionate

= can do better

than a government that lets veterans sleep
> on our streets and families slide into poverty."

this is the failure, cause by social policies

> "that sits on its hands while a major American city drowns before our eyes."

you think this was not a failure??????????????????????

> He's saying, "this country" but then referring to events within the
> country.  How is that not saying that America is a failure?

None of the above says America, you need to learn to care. It says
these things happen and we all know they are wrong and we need people
in government who do too.