On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 5:32 AM, Dana wrote:
> ok well. I think Keynes was on the right track, personally. He did
> only engineer the end of the Depression. The whole Laffner curve thing
> is mostly dismissed anymore. If there were any validity to it the last
> twenty years or so would have demonstrated it.

The last twenty years were very good economically. Low inflation, a
couple of mild recessions, lots of growth, and today in industrialized
nations, people have all sorts of benefits and conveniences that no
one, even the super-rich, had twenty years ago. That doesn't sound bad
to me. In fact it sounds like the standard of living has gone up a
lot.

> Bush the Elder called
> it right: it's voodoo economics, mostly based, I add, on individuals'
> wish to lower their own tax bill. So we have people who pay a couple
> of hundred less championing policies that cost the government billions
> in corporate taxes.

Your argument is based on the notion that giving money to the
government is a good thing and that the people having to pay more are
just whiners. That is a notion with which I fundamentally disagree.

> To be very very specific -- let's assume (to your benefit) that there
> is some validity to the crowding-out effect. I am not sure that's
> true, but I'll give it to you just so you have some sort of point on
> your side. You still lose the benefit of the multiplier effect, and
> you still run the risk of a) triggering inflation if the economy
> overheats and/or b) triggering recession as scared money gets pulled
> out of the economy and plunked into Swiss bank accounts.

Inflation happens, recessions happen. The Federal Reserve exists to
balance these forces. So we are addressing reality, not theory.