On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 8:38 PM, Adam Churvis wrote:
> I want you all to consider another perspective:
>
> "Google's data *IS* the government's data."
>
> It is but a single court order away on an ad hoc basis, and that can be
> obtained, as many times as necessary, from a single federal judge who is a
> political appointee of the administration who desires access.
>
> The Powers That Be within the federal government know how their own IT
> projects are beyond clusterf*cked, so in this time of budget constraints why
> spend your own money for another failed project to collect and mine private
> data?  Just let the competent private corporations do the work, then take
> possession of whatever part of their work product you want, whenever you
> want it.
>
> Does anyone else see this?

As the chick on that commercial for "the hole" says:

"oh crap".

An efficient government, with the far-reaching powers this one has?
That's way fsck'n scary.

And I keep saying, it's on it's way.  These data-stores are linking
up, over time-- I've seen it, it's happening.  What was separate, is
now one.  Three to two.  Two searches are one.  One. Easy.  Search.

We were sorta safe, for a while, through obscurity, but we're going to
have to face the fact that technology is becoming one with our way of
life, transparent, almost, we've become so accustomed (stores shut
down when the computers go off line!  No doctor prescriptions filled
for you!)  to it.  Now that all this crap is starting to talk to each
other, we're facing a real cross-roads of, like moral values and
stuff.  We we've been there for years, without really grasping it (in
general, but here comes crazy fast communication).

Sadly, I don't think people realize what is truly possible, how bad it
can be, and that while it seems like we're giving out power to fight
"bad people", we're arming them, sorta, at the same time.  Good and
bad bing (heh, being) sorta, um, variable?  Eh.

Keep the power with the people, fight assimilation into "the
information machine"... who knows, we may be AIs some day, brains
recorded on silicon, and it'll be, like, ... well, that's cool and
all, but really, privacy is a huge issue, that we don't address very
much (we, as in the people).

"We"'ve really been screwed over, everyone should realize that.  I
think laws, important laws, have been broken, but folk who feel the
same, are in the minority.

Hell, I've been called unpatriotic (gasp!) for defending privacy
against the silly idea that it would be ++good to have less of it.

Don't you want a safer tomorrow?  It's for the children!

How will we catch terrorists if we can't 0wn you?

Trust the Government!  (Mostly Republicans)

==
We love even when our love is not requited.
Mortimer Adler