> gMoney wrote:
> I'm sure the people that are still alive today in Iraq thanks to "the surge"
> are pretty happy that we addressed the "symptom". What will the people who
> are economically destroyed think about our refusal to address our own
> symptoms?

Well, and I don't mean to be a chicken little here, but you're
assuming that spending the money will have an effect.

Depending on who you believe, the $700B is as little as 1% of the
problem; that even if you spent all of the money today, at most it
would delay the inevitable by 1 month.

So, just like the Surge, you can hold back the problem but if you're
not addressing the core it'll essentially overwhelm you anyway and, in
the meantime, make people there is success when there is none.

For example, we don't even know if the Surge actually brought down
violence.  There were a number of factors at play that all coincided,
the Surge being one of them.

All of that being said, personally I support spending the money but
maybe after the election.