I totally understand the need from a business standpoint.  I work for a
"traditional" media co that is trying to figure out how to reach the web
world (albeit kicking and screaming) by tweeting "breaking news", but it is
not going over well with those who are used to print media.  Twitter will be
a big part of that, IMO.

>From a completely different standpoint, I live in a city where I have not a
lot of "lifetime" friends.  By getting my hometown friends onto Twitter, I
get to share my day-to-day experiences with them without having to call each
friend individually or text them insanely.  I find it a great way to stay in
touch.  Plus, I like to talk about random crap.  Now I have an audience.  =)