And this:
The CAC's agenda flowed from Mr. Ayers's educational philosophy, which
called for infusing students and their parents with a radical
political commitment, and which downplayed achievement tests in favor
of activism. In the mid-1960s, Mr. Ayers taught at a radical
alternative school, and served as a community organizer in Cleveland's
ghetto.

In works like "City Kids, City Teachers" and "Teaching the Personal
and the Political," Mr. Ayers wrote that teachers should be community
organizers dedicated to provoking resistance to American racism and
oppression. His preferred alternative? "I'm a radical, Leftist, small
'c' communist," Mr. Ayers said in an interview in Ron Chepesiuk's,
"Sixties Radicals," at about the same time Mr. Ayers was forming CAC.

CAC translated Mr. Ayers's radicalism into practice. Instead of
funding schools directly, it required schools to affiliate with
"external partners," which actually got the money. Proposals from
groups focused on math/science achievement were turned down. Instead
CAC disbursed money through various far-left community organizers,
such as the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (or
Acorn).